Working at Heights Refresher deadline is fast approaching
As an Ontario employer, you must ensure your construction workers complete Working at Heights Refresher training between now and August 31, 2021.
Ontario’s 1-year extension is about to end
Owing to the COVID-19 crisis, the Ontario government provided employers with a one-year extension to comply with the Working at Heights Refresher training requirements. This deadline was for those who successfully completed WAH training between Feb 28 & Aug 31, 2017.
Construction workers whose training certificates will expire between Feb. 28, 2020 and Aug. 31, 2020, have their WAH certificate validity extended for one year.
Training for more than 120,000 workers was due to expire during this time period, according to the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
Therefore, these workers must complete their refresher training for working at heights before the fourth year of completing their initial WAH training between now and August 31, 2021.
MLTSD inspectors to visit 1,300 construction sites starting Apr 16
On April 15, the Ontario government announced that it will commence targeted workplace inspections of construction sites across Ontario. Moreover, they said the inspections will start on Friday, Apr 16, 2021.
Hon. Monte McNaughton, Minister of Labour, Training and Skills Development stated the following on Apr 15, 2021:
- MLTSD is dispatching 200 workplace inspectors, supported by provincial offenses officers, to visit 1,300 constructions sites to enforce safety requirements
- Officers will also be visiting more than 500 workplaces. These will include big box stores, food processors, manufacturers, and warehouses in Ottawa, Toronto, and York Region, identified as hot spots for COVID-19
Employer’s training obligations
If your workers are working at heights of 3 meters (10 feet) or more, effective Apr 01, 2015, Working At Heights is a mandatory requirement in Ontario.
Therefore, as an employer, you must comply with all the requirements for Working At Heights training requirement under the OHS Act. Moreover, you must ensure that the Working At Heights training should be only through a CPO-approved training provider.
As an employer, you must ensure that all your workers successfully complete this training before:
- Working at heights
- Using a fall protection system
Working at heights training validity
Our CPO-approved Working at Heights training is valid for three (3) years from the date of successful last completion. Therefore, as an employer, to ensure compliance:
- You must get your workers to complete a CPO-approved WAH refresher training
- Your workers must do this prior to the expiration of the three-year period
- You must also ensure that they do this every three years thereafter
4S Consulting is a CPO-approved training provider. In fact, we are also approved for for Blended Working at Heights.
- Part 1: theory (online module for 3.5 hours) and
- Part 2: Working at Heights Refresher training
We have a fully ramped up Spring training schedule. Book your seat now by clicking below:
As required by the CPO, we deliver this training in person. However, we have strict COVID-19 protocols in place.
These include participant screening, restricted classroom sizes, sanitation protocols, etc. to ensure physical distancing and mandatory mask use.
Don’t forget! REGISTER TODAY to ensure you’re complying with WAH refresher training.
Dates or location don’t match! We can come to your place for a private session
If any of our advertised dates or the training location don’t meet your requirements, we can come to your location for a private session.
Contact us at email@example.com for more information or call us at (905) 532-1488.
Before enrolling in WAH refresher training:
- All the participants must have completed their initial full 1-day WAH training
- The training provider must be a CPO-Approved Provider